Join L2D Today

We want to thank you for being apart of our growing auto detailing community. Have any questions? Please read our FAQ page.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default My new 1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary.

Well, long story short, my wife and I sold our 2000 Jetta and bought this 1999 Mustang GT. It is the 35th Anniversary Edition so it's got a few "extras" if you will. Two-tone leather interior, hood scoop, nicer side skirts, aluminum shift knob and gauge bezel and a matte black vinyl hood scoop stripe.

Although this GT has only 43k original miles on the clock, this is definitely one of if not the worst finishes I have ever in my detailing years faced. It looks like the previous owners took it religiously to the autowash on the corner or scrubbed it with one of those long handled brushes purchased to make life a little easier when washing they're vehicles.

I had the pleasure of finally meeting a fellow local detailer, Wills. He goes by "Wills" on here and I know most of you have seen his ridiculously awesome writeups. Well, nonetheless I learned a ton of valuable information from him. He is an awesome guy and tremendous detailer to come and give me a hand!

Will and I set off to start compounding my new to me car. I had done all the prep work the day before so we go to it as soon as Will pulled in!

I would say we yielded 95%+ correction and in some places 100%. There are still some RIDS left over that would absolutely have to be wet sanded out...pretty good results if you as Will and I for what we had to work with. Enjoy my writeup!

Here was the process:

Wash
    Foamed with mixture of Dawn and DG shampoo
    Rinsed
    Washed via 2BM w/Grit Guards and Dawn
    Rinsed and blown dry w/Homelight Electric Blower
    Clayed with Autoworks Exclusive Medium Clay and ONR as lube

Compounded and Polishing Process
    Compounded via PC, Meguires D300 and Meguires MF Cutting pad at speed 6(Will)
    Polished via PCXP, Meguired 205 and Buff and Shine Green polishing pad @ speed 6 (me)
    Several passed of 2-3 times both compounding and polishing
    Some areas received compounding via PCXP, Meguires 105 and Buff and Shine Yellow pad

Protection
    Duragloss 105 Polish was applied via PCXP and Buff and Shine Blue pad @ speed 4.5
    Optimum Car Wax was used as a temporary wax due to time constraints and was buffed off using a Cobra MF towel I purchased from Will

Wheels and Tires and Wells
    Cleaned with Zep Citrus @ 4:1 using the Raceglaze wheel brush and Raceglass brush set
    Tires dressed with Optimum Opti Bond

Now time for picture fun!! Most of the photos speak for themselves in the compounding stages....

This is what we were greeted to:

Will getting after the compounding stage!

After comppounding:

I am following up polishing and will is compounding.

Having a little fun while we beutify this Mustang!

As you can see here, we make a pretty good team. Left after final polishing:

My wife thought it was funny to take close ups of me hard at work!

C Pillar before:

C Pillar After:

Tail looking right after The Meguires Twins:

This is what we were greeted to while polishing the bottom of the car....yikes!

Water spotting:

Not anymore!

Getting all foamed up and ready for LSP!

The finished product! Sorry for lack of after shots...was in a hurry to take a cruise with my wife!

Last edited by Freefallin2000; 11-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks

Sean, she looks sweet man! It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife as well. When you initially texted me and asked for help i figured it was in bad shape but...man like you said, it really looked like someone took the liberty of washing the damn thing with a steel rake for the last decade.

Also I'd like to add in the testing process we did as far as finding out which pad/compound/machine combo would work best. Initially Sean had texted me and was pretty sure we needed to take the rotary to this thing...and in some parts we did. But after seeing that 105 on a synthetic wool pad using the Makita was STILL requiring two full section passes, off of a hunch we broke out some D300 and the Megs MF pads...and found that while doing very slow passes we were able to get just as good of a cut on this car as the rotary was giving, but without the obvious risk the rotary comes along with (or the weight lol).

Between me going ahead first with getting the bulk compounding out of the way and Sean following up behind doing the final polishing and also compounding the 4" pad areas, we made a pretty damn good team for a couple of guys who had never met before.

It was also cool to be able to show Sean my sungun and how much of an asset it is to have on top of the halogens. While D300 was finishing down quite nicely and under halogens...it looked basically perfect, with the sun gun it was clear to see the VERY VERY fine marring left from the Microfiber Pads...and was also clear to see how the paint REALLY looked flawless, with no marring, after following up with 205.
    Now he's insistent on getting one lol...i on the other hand, after seeing the new upgraded model of the Craftsman halogens that he got...am probably going to go get the new set for myself .

Lastly, it was great to work with another detailer who is local and who i can honestly say I'd trust to work with...and for me thats not easy. Not only did Sean come with 110%, but he had a bundle of questions, listened to the answers and came back with more questions at times and also showed he had really done his homework especially for someone who doesn't do this full time. Very attentive to detail and someone who was great to work with...again, not something i can say about most people...most times help becomes a hindrance with other folks, but we seemed to click as if we had actually worked together before! Working almost 8 hours straight we were able to really transform this baby

Glad you were able to post some of the photos up here man and hope to see the pony in person sometime soon now that its got the finishing touches done to it

Good job man!

Thanks

Thanks for the very positive thoughts man! Will was definitely extremely knowledgeable in pretty much every area I asked him about. Very awesome of him to give up over half of his day to come help a near complete stranger on his personal vehicle! I will definitely be working with him in the future!

Thanks

First of all congrats on the vehicle and what a great turn around, the 50/50 pictures look really good.

Thank you for sharing

Thanks

Congrats on the new car Sean!!! A great car!! The PI heads on the 99 made one helluva difference on performance with those cars.

Its cool you and Wills got to meet up. Its nice to have ppl in the same area that enjoy the same thing, such as detailing!!

The car looks great!!! Thanks for posting!!

Thanks

Congrats on the new car Sean!!! A great car!! The PI heads on the 99 made one helluva difference on performance with those cars.

Its cool you and Wills got to meet up. Its nice to have ppl in the same area that enjoy the same thing, such as detailing!!

The car looks great!!! Thanks for posting!!

Thanks

Nice work. It must save a lot of time with a two man team. Does the red have a lot of orange in it?

Thanks

Very nice work gentlemen!! Congrats on the new to you ride.

Thanks

Awesome work guys! Awesome to get to meet someone near you you can enjoy this with

Red is the most difficult color car (by far) to capture. It seems cameras have some difficulty interpreting red exactly.

Thanks

Great job guys, and congrats on the new ride Sean, she looks awesome man!