Join L2D Today

We want to thank you for being apart of our growing auto detailing community. Have any questions? Please read our FAQ page.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Definition: JTWO

Seems a lot of people have missed my post in the nuba thread explaining my "JTWO" method and hopefully this will explain this method.

JTWO= Jimmying The Wax On

As we all know, thin is in when it comes to applying to waxes or sealants. Applying the thinnest layer possible is beneficial for 2 reasons:

1) It makes removal much easier because you do not have to remove an excessive amount of product.

2) When speaking about waxes and sealants, any product that is wiped off is only product wasted.

As many of you know, I don't like to waste anything. My motto when applying waxes: "Spread it so thin, that you never have to buy another tin!"

And now you know what my JTWO method is!

Thanks, Jim

Thanks

Cool Jim! Thanks for posting. Is there anything special you do on application, maybe something thats different than say I would do?

Thanks

Not really Heath. I just try to not overload a pad with product. Some of the softer waxes can load up an applicator rather easily so you must use caution. Some of the harder waxes may seem a bit difficult to apply on the paintwork, so a spritz of distilled water is usually helpful. Taking you time is most likely the biggest tip I can provide. When we are in a hurry, we tend to try to put too much product on an applicator and work too big of a section. While the 3 mins you just saved applying the wax like a madman may have helped, the extra 15 removing all the excess actually just hurt......Haste makes waste! Great question Heath!
    Last edited by Dr Oldz; 08-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks

DDMJ! Jimmying the wax on for the win! Thanks for the technique tips Dr. J!

Thanks

Lord knows I'm guilty of getting in a hurry applying wax!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    My motto when applying waxes: "Spread it so thin, that you never have to buy another tin!"
    This literally made me laugh out loud...it's a very clever motto.

Very nice post, Jim.

Thanks

If I could just learn to apply thin, I can't apply wax or sealant thin. I pay or it every time though with all the extra removing I have to do. Good explanation though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    If I could just learn to apply thin, I can't apply wax or sealant thin. I pay or it every time though with all the extra removing I have to do. Good explanation though.
    Have you tried via. DA Carlos? I know is a gamble with Zymol waxes ($$$) but I think I'm going to try it with the softer stuff next time a client requests wax.

Thanks

No, I honestly can't say I've ever tried it with a DA hamza, actually come to think of it I don't even own any DA's...don't like the vibrations they put out...jajaja get it their vibe jajajajaja okay sorry terrible joke but couldn't help my self

Thanks

The DA really does help me to putt down a thin coat compared to doing it by hand since I can go back over it several times. I am not sure I apply it much faster but I sure apply it more evenly and less issues with spots that have a little excess that need extra buffing. Plus if you like to wax trim, it is easier to get it on trim as well.