Join L2D Today

We want to thank you for being apart of our growing auto detailing community. Have any questions? Please read our FAQ page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default 2009 Infinity G37x

This vehicle belongs to a good friend of mine and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to detail it. Vehicle was booked in for a full paint correction complete with a full interior detail as well.

Well here is the vehicle as it was brought to me:

Oooh look what I spot…with out having to even use my 3M Sun Gun too.

A few pictures of the interior:

Well as you can see nothing out of the ordinary, the vehicle is a daily driver so there is really nothing out of the ordinary.

Well I began the vehicle with the “shoes”. I used P21S Total Auto Wash on the tires and wheel wells and Red P21S Gel on the trims. With various brushes I scrubbed and agitated the tires, rims and wheel wells and this is how all that scrubbing looked like:

With all four corners taken care of I proceeded to wash the paint, the shampoo of choice was Meg’s Gold Class Shampoo. Once the paint was washed I proceeded to de-contaminate the paint. First up is Tardis to remove all organic contamination:

Here is Tardis hard at work:

Tardis was left to dwell for a few minutes and buffed off with a micro fiber towel and the entire vehicle was given a thorough rinse.

Next is Iron X:

Iron X is great at removing all iron contamination and this vehicle had a significant amount of iron contamination, here is what I mean:

The rims are bleeding quite a bit.

So was the paint:

Irxon X was buffed off with a micro fiber towel and was rinsed off as well. The final step was to clay the vehicle. The clay of choice was Red Clay Magic. Just in case I missed anything. I fin that with this de-contamination process the claying process is significantly faster.

Well the vehicle was rinsed off for a final time and dried with some waffle weaved micro fiber towels. With that I proceeded to take some paint gauge readings with the help of my PosiTector 6000 and the vehicle had plenty of clear coat. Having said that I got my 3M Sun Gun and here are the true conditions of the paint:

These look impressive

Even the tail lights had swirls:

Now to pick a combination that would deliver satisfying results, well I decided to go with my favorite combo:

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish partnered with a Polishing Ultimate Foam pad and my Festool rotary.

I picked out a test spot:

Decided to use a small section of the hood.

I gave the section two passes and here are the results:

A closer look:

Well two passes sure did the trick to this vehicle. I have to admit I was a bit surprised that Menzerna SIP would do the trick to this Infinities clear coat. As these vehicles clear coats are usually hard.

Well now that I have a polishing combo I continued on polishing the rest of the hood, here is the difference made, before:

After first pass:

After second pass:

Sorry for the poor focus but I had to manually focus these pictures as it was a bit difficult to capture.

On the hood and a few other spots, the vehicle had a few tree sap spots. Which Tardis did a great job at removing however, it looks like the sap had etched through the clear coat and looked something like this:

Well once the hood was completely polished I moved on to the driver side fender, before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Here are a few 50/50 to help illustrate the difference made:

Next, I moved over to the passenger fender and here are a some 50/50 pictures:

A bit difficult to truly see the difference made but there are more pictures to come.

Decided to go back to the driver side door, before:

After:

Before

After:

Before:

After:

Here are a few 50/50 pictures of the drier door:

Thiis using just the lighting on my wall, you can see the difference made. A closer look with the help of the 3M Sun Gun:

Moving on to the rear driver side passenger door, before:

After:

Moving on to the quarter panel, before:

After:

Here are some 50/50 pictures:

Before I moved on to the bumper area I decided to polish the side pillars, before:

After:

Well with that done on to the bumper, before:

After:

Rear tail lights before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Here is a 50/50 of the top of the trunk:

Well that leaves the passenger side, first up the pillars before:

After:

Passenger door before:

After:

Before:

After:

That about does it, I think you get the “picture” of the correction process. The last step was to gie the entire vehicle a final pass with Menzerna 85RD partnered with a Finishing 3M UK foam pad. With the paint correction all done I turned my attention to the interior. I first began by removing all personal belongings this includes all floor matts and here are the true conditions of the interior, well at least the carpet:

The trunk was going to need some attention as well:

Like always I begin with giving the interior a thorough vacuum:

The leather seats also needed a good vacuum, specially between the seems:

Before I started the interior I had filled up my steamer with reverse osmosis water and let it warm up. So let the steaming begin and like always I begin by steaming the vents:

Now this was a bit odd, you can clearly see steam coming out of the ents on the front, by the winshield. But look what was happening in the back as well:

Steam was traveling through all vents This is the first time I’ve actually noticed this, I’m sure this happens often but.

By the way, I’d like to take this opportunity to share something. A good client of mine shared this with me. Well you know how I always steam the vents, well a wile back I detailed a Subary and the owner simply stored the vehicle right after I detailed it. I steamed the vents like I normaly do to all interior details and after a few months of having the vehicle sitting, stored the fan seased up. I’ve never heard of this to be honest but the only thing that could have done this is the condensation of the steam left behind. Now I share this because what I have done ever since I was told of this insident is that before I delier the vehicle to the owner I make sure to turn on the fan inside the vehicle for a few minutes to make sure all the condensation is blown away. I don’t know if anyone has ever heard of this if so I would love to hear it.

Well back to the write up, time to steam all the plastic trim, like I always say steaming is quite simple. You take the dirty trim like so:

Steam it a bit like so:

Follow it up with a wipe down:

And just like that these are the end results:

This process is carried out through out the entire interior. Once I completed the plastic trim I then turned to the leather seats. Now I wanted to take the opportunity to really show the difference steam makes on leather and after reading a few write ups from the UK folks I “borrowed” this idea:

I taped up a section of the leather seats just like you’d do to the paint to show 50/50

Then to the rest of the seat:

A closer look:

Looks good dosen’t it, well I liked the idea so much that I used it on the driver side seat:

A closer look:

Well I’d say steam can handle leather

With the leather seats taken care off I then proceeded to steam the carpet:

After steaming the carpet I decided to get my extractor out to play and extracted all carpet, here is how the water came out of my extractor:

Well that about takes care of the interior, cleansing wise. For interior protection I went with 303 Fabric guard and 303 Aero Space Protection on all plastic and vynil. Glass was cleansed with the help of steam and that does it for the interior.

Next, it was back to the paint and the first thing to do was to insure all polish residue was removed for this I used:

Once that was done it was time to apply the paint protection and seeing as this vehicle will be used as a daily driver I decided to go with:

With Opti-Guard applied and buffed off the tires were dressed and the vehicle was given a final wipe down and here are the end results.

You’ll notice that the exhaust tips were not polished and that was done on purpose as one of the exuasts (the one you see nearest to the camera here) tips was missing, made the owner aware of this.

A few pictures of the interior:

Well that does it for this vehicle and another customer pleased with the end results.

Like always thank you for reading and always appreciate the feed back.

Thanks

Carlos, those leather 50:50 pictures looked insane. Although your exterior pictures are amazing, the interior always impresses me. You make them look like they just rolled out of the factory.

Thanks

Carlos,
    With all these cary interior shot and and 50/50's using your steamer is making me really want to pick one up! I just need to convince the boss that I can use it around the house for other things was well.

The car turned out great.

I would be interested in a comparison between Eraser and Top Inspection as well.

Thanks

Outstanding job on the interior, Carlos. I would have scrubbed at those seats with cleaner for a good 30-45 mins. That steamer sure is handy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

Carlos,
    With all these cary interior shot and and 50/50's using your steamer is making me really want to pick one up! I just need to convince the boss that I can use it around the house for other things was well.

I would be interested in a comparison between Eraser and Top Inspection as well.
    Troy, watch out what you ask for!! If you have grout in your house, you will be blown away by how it cleans it. Seriously, you'll be blown away. I have a 2nd steamer (a small one) that I use every week to clean the bathrooms. No chemicals, and it kills every germ, bacteria, whatever. Especially good if there are any allergies in the house as you are not using chemicals.

Carlos,
    Amazing job on the Infi! How were the paint readings on it? Was the roof ridiculously thin? Good thing it wasn't that terrible sticky clear, eh? How many hours all told on that one? Again, great job.

Oh, and BTW, everyone needs to get this in their backseat...hehehehehehhehehe

I wouldn't need to manage my anger if people would manage their stupidity...

Thanks

Awesome job Carlos and nice write up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hamza7 View Post
    Carlos, those leather 50:50 pictures looked insane. Although your exterior pictures are amazing, the interior always impresses me. You make them look like they just rolled out of the factory.
    Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. The 50/50 of the interior I got the idea from the UK folks, those UK folks take detailing to a whole new level. Thank you for the feed back, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

Carlos,

Oh man if you can get a steamer you'd never go back...er something like that Glad you enjoyed it buddy.

Eraser huh, I honestly can't say I've ever used it...but I'm almost out of Top Inspection and need to replenish my stock

Quote Originally Posted by Aerogt01 View Post
    Outstanding job on the interior, Carlos. I would have scrubbed at those seats with cleaner for a good 30-45 mins. That steamer sure is handy!
    Yup, that's exactly how I used to it my self and ever since I got the steamer interiors are extremely easy to detail and in less time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Carlos,
    Amazing job on the Infi! How were the paint readings on it? Was the roof ridiculously thin? Good thing it wasn't that terrible sticky clear, eh? How many hours all told on that one? Again, great job.

Oh, and BTW, everyone needs to get this in their backseat...hehehehehehhehehe

Actually for the most part this vehicle had reasonable amount of clear coat. Yes, the roof was quite low and took it easy on the roof. Strange how the readings bounced around all over the place though I agree though, I was praying for no sticky clear coat as it's a real pain. Yes, the owner of this vehicle has class But actually Tennis is a tough sport, I've been playing a bit this summer and man I wish I would have played more during high school

Quote Originally Posted by rsurfer View Post
    Awesome job Carlos and nice write up.
    Thank you buddy, glad you enjoyed it much appreciated

Thanks

Looks great Carlos!!! Is that your home garage? Anymore pics

Thanks

Yes, all the detailing I do I do it all in my garage. Pictures...um...well I'm not quite done with it, this winter I'll be finishing up the shelves and a few other loose ends...if detailing slows down that is.

Thanks

carlos what kind of steamer is giving you those great results?!?!?!